Current projects and involvement:
- The University of Alabama, Communication Studies Department: My full-time "work home," where I teach, conduct research, and perform service. I'm an associate professor and teach classes in Intercultural Communication, Organizational Communication, Leadership, and Qualitative Methods.
- Intercultural Resources: A searchable database of resources for teaching, learning, and training about intercultural and diversity issues. Curated with Mary Grace Antony.
- The Intercultural Communication Institute: A wonderful nonprofit organization, dedicated to educational efforts, including the Summer Institute for Intercultural Communication. I've been involved for many years, in many roles.
- I'm an advisor to the University of Alabama's Serbia Fellowship Experience, working with American students traveling to Serbia.
- Semester at Sea: Early in my career, I had a chance to be a staff member on this traveling study abroad experience. I returned as a faculty member for Fall 2016 and hope to go again in the future.
- Culture, Communication, and Yoga: An edited book in development examining the cultural and intercultural elements of yoga in the United States and Worldwide today. With Mary Grace Antony and others.
- Other Conferences and Organizations:
- SIETAR: The Society for Intercultural Education, Training, and Research
- The National Communication Association
- Southern States Communication Association
- Yoga: I teach a class once a week at Yoga Bliss in Tuscaloosa. I've practiced yoga, mostly in the Iyengar tradition, since 1992.